Thursday 13 September 2012

The Hierophant - Back to School


One of the best methods I have found for deepening my knowledge of the tarot cards is by doing what is sometimes referred to as reversed readings. Rather than drawing the cards and then interpreting the meaning, I think of an event or set of circumstances and then decide which card or group of cards I would choose to illustrate this.  If, like me, you keep a tarot journal,    this can be a refreshing way of recording your insights and developing your own personal reading style.
For example, the month of September is a time I associate with the new school year and indeed, I recently waved my son off on his first day back.  He looked extremely smart in his new uniform and somehow the carefree days of the long summer break suddenly seemed like a pleasant but distant memory.
To me, the rather serious energy of The Hierophant sums up the classroom environment.  The image on the card reminds me of a teacher taking a lesson at the front of the class whilst the pupils listen attentively.  The emphasis here is very much on the importance of adhering to a code of conduct as well as listening and learning.
The other cards which immediately spring to mind when I think of school are the 8 of Pentacles for lessons.  The 5 of Wands I associate with the  rough and tumble playground environment.  The 3 of Pentacles brings to mind apprenticeships or vocational courses where there is emphasis on acquiring practical skills rather than purely academic learning.



No comments:

Post a Comment